CAPS remains committed to supporting student well-being and resilience.
The University of West Florida is working closely with the Florida Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control, to closely monitor COVID-19 (Coronavirus). Counseling and Psychological Services remains committed to supporting student well-being and resilience. CAPS acknowledges the impact on UWF students related to Coronavirus and recognizes it is typical to experience anxiety, worry or fear. During this time, CAPS is implementing the following temporary service changes.
These changes are in effect until further notice.
- CAPS offers individual and group teletherapy. In alignment with state laws, regulations, and ethics, teletherapy is only available to currently enrolled students who presently reside in the state of Florida. CAPS partners with Therapy Assistance Online (TAO) Connect, Inc. for access to the secure and private Zoom platform to execute teletherapy health services. To make an appointment for teletherapy, call 850.474.2420.
- Telephone crisis counseling is available to all students including out-of-state students. To access this service, call 850.474.2420 and dial 6.
- All CAPS in-person events are suspended at this time.
- All students are encouraged to utilize TAO modules to strengthen skills to cope with anxiety, depression, stress management and more. TAO is an interactive web-based self-help program that is available 24/7. Access TAO anonymously at uwf.edu/tao.
- Follow us on Facebook (@uwfcaps) and Instagram (@uwfcounseling) for tips and resources.
- If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
Faculty and Staff
- We appreciate your ability to be supportive of student well-being.
- Should you need to consult with a counselor regarding supporting a student(s), please call and request a call back at 850.474.2420.
In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, TAO has made their mindfulness exercises available to the general public who are seeking ways to cope during this difficult time. No UWF account required.
- Taking Care of Your Behavioral Health During an Infectious Disease Outbreak
- Mental Health and Coping During COVID-19
- Share Facts About COVID-19
Mental health is a key part of your overall health. CAPS offers online screenings for mood and anxiety disorders as well as alcohol and marijuana use. These free screenings are anonymous and available to all UWF students.Online Screenings
One of the best ways for people to learn about themselves and their concerns is within the context of interpersonal relationships. In group therapy, six to eight people meet face to face with one or more group leaders to talk about what is troubling them.Current Therapy Groups
Outreach presentations are provided by request and can be tailored for various events. They are a way in which we hope to provide an open and integrative forum for presenting various topics.Outreach Services
Biofeedback is a self-help program that teaches techniques for changing the body's response to stress and anxiety. It is an evidence-based intervention for the treatment of anxiety.Biofeedback Therapy
Let’s Talk is a free drop-in consultation program provided by Counseling and Psychological Services for all UWF students.Let's Talk
QPR Gatekeeper Training
QPR Gatekeeper Training is a suicide prevention outreach program focused on providing gatekeeper training to the UWF campus community.QPR Gatekeeper Training
Therapy Assistance Online Self-Help
TAO Self-Help is a web-based program that offers engaging, interactive modules to teach life skills and help you bounce back from disappointments or stumbling blocks in life. TAO is confidential, free and available to all UWF students.
Counseling and Psychological Services
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers counseling and therapy to help students manage, cope and grow with the stress associated with school and life. The primary goal of counseling is to help students develop the personal awareness and skills necessary to overcome problems and to develop in ways that will allow them to take advantage of educational opportunities at the University.