Special Circumstances / Professional Judgment Appeals
At UWF, we recognize that special circumstances may exist that are not sufficiently addressed by the standardized federal student aid formulas on the FAFSA. To account for special circumstances, Sec. 479A(a) of the Higher Education Act allows institutions to make data value adjustments on a case-by-case basis. Adequate documentation is required.
Professional Judgment Appeals
Family Contribution Appeal: Review and possible adjustment of data values that are used to calculate the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. Example circumstances that may warrant an EFC appeal:
- Significant changes in income
- Disability/unemployment terminated
- Death of parent or spouse
- Unusually high and paid medical bills not covered by insurance
Dependency Appeal: Unusual family circumstances that allow an applicant to apply as an independent student, i.e., parental data would not be required. Examples circumstances that may warrant a dependency appeal:
- Abandonment by parents
- An abusive family environment that threatens student’s health or safety
- Unable to locate parents
- Death of a parent and no contact with other parent
Submission process and student expectations:
- Log into your student financial aid account at UWF.verifymyfafsa.com.
- Select the + - Request radio button.
- Using the (+) radio button, select a Family Contribution or Dependency Appeal (if the option is faint, you are ineligible for that type of appeal).
- Students selected for verification must first complete verification requirements before completing the appeal process. You will be automatically notified within your financial aid account.
- Adequate documentation that supports the reason(s) for your appeal is required at the time of submission. Because the circumstances are specific to your situation, we cannot advise in advance of the documents required. Submit any and all relevant documents that support your reported circumstances.
- Appeals will be initially reviewed within 7 to 10 business days after the form and documents have been submitted.
- Once the request is initially reviewed, specific documentation may be requested.
- Once the file is determined complete (which includes any requests for subsequent documentation), you will be notified of the decision in 7 to 10 business days.
- Document deadlines and priority dates apply to the appeal process.
- Student Accounts & Cashier's Fee payment Deadlines remain applicable regardless if you submit an appeal for review.
- A student may be approved for a maximum of two consecutive family contribution appeals.
- Approved appeals do not guarantee additional aid will be awarded.