Center for Cybersecurity
The UWF Center for Cybersecurity is the regional hub for cybersecurity education and research, including multidisciplinary programs and certificates, research opportunities, outreach activities, and industry partnerships.
UWF has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security.
UWF is the NSA/DHS Center of Academic Excellence Regional Resource Center for Southeast
As the NSA/DHS Cybersecurity CAE Regional Resource Center for the Southeast, UWF provides leadership to advance cyber defense education among colleges and universities in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Puerto Rico and South Carolina.
Project Coordinator Needed
The Center for Cybersecurity seeks a Project Coordinator to plan, manage, and support the National Cybersecurity Workforce Development program. This position will serve as a liaison to stakeholders and partners, including the Centers of Academic Excellence (CAE) Program Office, higher education and industry partners, UWF units, and external vendors. A full job description and link to apply can be found here.
Cybersecurity For All® Program Nationally Recognized
The Center's Cybersecurity for All® program has been recognized among the 2020 Innovations in Cybersecurity Education by National CyberWatch Center. The program's faculty team is pictured to the right. To learn more, read the National CyberWatch Center press release.
Cybersecurity for All®, is an innovative program to enhance readiness for evolving cybersecurity work roles and address the critical shortage of cybersecurity professionals. Organizations that would like to learn more about how the program can be customized to meet their workforce needs can contact the center at 850.474.3076 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information can also be found on the Cyber For All page.
Innovative Approaches To Cybersecurity Careers
Center director, Dr. Eman El-Sheikh, appeared as a guest on the SecurityMetrics podcast to discuss the variety of career opportunities in cybersecurity, our Cybersecurity for All® program, and other innovative ways of developing competencies for cybersecurity work roles and enhancing diversity in the field.
Cybersecurity for the New Normal
Covid-19 has introduced new routines like working or learning from home, so it’s important to make sure that you stay cyber aware and secure in your home office, school. During these times and even beyond, we are committed to helping our students, alumni, partners, and community enhance their cyber awareness for our evolving, remote world. This will include training events, tips from our faculty and staff experts, online learning resources, and how to engage through our other programs.
To learn more, visit our CyberAware page.
Adjunct Teaching Opportunities
The Center for Cybersecurity at the University of West Florida would like to identify professionals with teaching, training, industry and/or research experience who are interested in adjunct teaching opportunities that may arise. If you are interested in an adjunct teaching opportunity with the Center, please complete the application form and submit a PDF copy of your resume. The Center will notify you of any adjunct teaching opportunities that arise related to your area(s) of expertise. Please contact the Center for Cybersecurity at 850-474-2816 or email email@example.com if you have any questions.
NSF Cybercorps® Scholarship for Service / UWF Argo Cyber Emerging Scholars (ACES)
The CyberCorps® Scholarship for Service (SFS) program aims to recruit and train the next generation of highly skilled cybersecurity professionals to meet the evolving cybersecurity mission for federal, state, local, and tribal governments. The Argo Cyber Emerging Scholars (ACES) program will establish a cybersecurity community of practice to grow and sustain a superior cybersecurity workforce through scholarships, professional development, high-impact learning practices, hands-on cybersecurity skills development, transfer pathways, and community and employer partnerships. Visit the Argo Cyber Emerging Scholars page to learn more.
In The News
- October 7, 2020| UWF Newsroom
- Regions Foundation awards UWF gift to train veterans for careers in cybersecurity
- September 14, 2020| PNJ
- UWF wants $15 million from state to create 1st cybersecurity department in Florida
- September 11, 2020| Tampa Bay Times| Health Care Business News
- Moffitt: Stolen briefcase exposed data of 4,056 cancer patients
- August 27, 2020| Tallahassee Democrat
- After Florida was hacked in 2016 election, state got millions for election security. Here's how it was spent.
- August 7, 2020| Tampa Bay Times
- A Florida cybersecurity expert weighs in on TikTok
- July 16, 2020| National Cyberwatch Center| Yahoo! Finance| PRWeb|
- National CyberWatch Center Announces Winners for 2020 Innovations in Cybersecurity Education Program
- July 15, 2020| UWF Newsroom| PNJ| Security Magazine| GeekWire| Spot On Florida| National Cyber News Today| NorthEscambia.com| WUWF| Blab TV
- UWF partners with Escambia County elections staff to enhance cybersecurity preparations
- June 25, 2020| Florida Trend Magazine
- In Florida and nationwide, cyber-security jobs are waiting to be filled
- April 17, 2020| WEAR-TV
- UWF professor discusses Apple, Google's contact tracing plan to help combat COVID-19
- February 13, 2020| Authority Magazine| Thrive Global
- Inspirational Women in STEM and Tech: “It is a myth that you need to strive for perfection in order to progress” with Dr. Eman El-Sheikh of the University of West Florida
- February 4, 2020| WEAR-TV
- Locals weigh in after app delays Iowa caucus results
- January 31, 2020| Pensacola Magazine
- Fighting Hackers and Criminals: New Strides in UWF Cybersecurity Program (page 59)
- January 21, 2020| UWF Newsroom| PNJ| Security Magazine
- UWF awarded prestigious grant to prepare the next generation of cybersecurity professionals