Dan McLeod Memorial Scholarship
The Dan McLeod Memorial Scholarship is a competitively awarded scholarship which is available to undergraduate and graduate students with orthopedic disabilities who attend the University of West Florida (UWF). An orthopedic disability is defined as severe skeletal, muscular, or neuromuscular impairment.
IMPORTANT: READ AND RETAIN A COPY FOR YOUR RECORDS
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION MATERIALS TO BE RECEIVED BY THE UNIVERSITY OF WEST FLORIDA:
JUNE 14, 2019
It is with great love and hope that we introduce you to William Daniel (Danny) McLeod, Jr. Danny had an outgoing, engaging personality and enjoyed life to the fullest. Many knew him as a dear friend, a devoted member of Cokesbury United Methodist Church, a great neighbor, and a loving husband and father. Some knew him as an outstanding photographer. Until he decided to give it up, Danny was one of the most sought after wedding photographers in Pensacola.
For the last 25 years of his life Danny (Dan as his UWF colleagues called him) was employed with the University of West Florida. In his last position he was Coordinator of Computer Systems in the Information Technology Services department. In this position Dan was responsible for managing the software application that supported the Internet based educational programs of the university.
In late 2001, Danny was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, better known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. Danny continued to work long after his diagnosis and showed tremendous courage and determination as his disease gradually took away his ability to function. He found unique and clever means to overcome many of his growing disabilities and he never lost the ability to make us smile. He was truly an inspiration to those who knew him and especially those who worked with him.
The Dan McLeod Memorial Scholarship was founded to honor and remember Danny McLeod and to offer help to students who may be struggling with an orthopedic disability. We understand the special challenges facing many disabled students and our hope is to lessen the financial challenge.
Our only request is that the recipients of the Dan McLeod Memorial Scholarship strive to be a positive example and inspiration to every student and employee of the University of West Florida. Please continue Danny’s legacy of hard work and unbreakable spirit.
Denise & Kylie McLeod
Students must adhere to the following application guidelines in order to qualify for consideration.
- Have a 2.5 GPA or above for undergraduate students and a 3.0 GPA or above for graduate students.
- Have a documented orthopedic disability on record with the UWF SAR or their current high school. This will be verified by the SAR.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
Grade point average and disability will be verified by the University’s Student Disability Resource Center.
Students should contact the SAR at (850) 474-2387 for clarification of requirements.
Applicants must submit the following in order to be considered:
- A completed 2018-2019 Dan McLeod Memorial Scholarship Application Form.
- A personal statement pertaining to your achievements, activities, career goals and the effects of your disability(ies)
- Two (2) letters of reference addressing your academic success and potential
Application, personal statement, and letters of reference must be received by the SAR no later than June 14, 2019.
- Notification to all current students registered with SAR regarding the McLeod Scholarship for the upcoming Fall term is emailed in mid-March.
- An introductory letter and applications are emailed to local high schools and community colleges.
- A folder is created for all applicants who return required documents.
- A checklist is created for each folder.
- Selected recipient is emailed a letter of award and acceptance form.
- The Dan McLeod Memorial Scholarship Selection Committee will meet 1-2 times a year. The first meeting will consist of a review of all candidate applications meeting the minimum criteria. The second meeting may consist of an interview with the top candidates.
- The Selection Committee will consist of two voting representatives from the UWF ITS Department and one voting representative from the Financial Aid Office. Also on the committee, as non-voting members, may be one or more representatives from the family of Dan McLeod, and a representative from Student Accessibility Resources.
- All applicants will be notified of their status as a Dan McLeod Memorial Scholarship recipient. Notification letters will be e-mailed by the second week of August to the e-mail address specified on the Dan McLeod Memorial Scholarship Application Form.
If Selected, The Recipient Will:
- Complete and return an acceptance form by the date specified in the notification letter. Failure to return the acceptance form by the specified date will result in forfeiture of the award.
- Receive an invitation to meet the family of Dan McLeod at the University’s annual scholarship luncheon.
- Undergraduate students will be required to complete a minimum of nine (9) credit hours each semester and graduate students will be required to complete a minimum of six (6) credit hours each semester. The scholarship will be discontinued if the scholarship recipient fails to meet the minimum credit hour requirement.
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average if an undergraduate student. Maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average if a graduate student.
- Recipient should contact SAR in the event health problems or other extenuating circumstances affect the individual's ability to maintain the minimum scholarship criteria.
After verification of enrollment, the University of West Florida will disburse the award equally over the fall and spring semesters to the eligible Dan McLeod Memorial Scholarship recipient. The dollar amount of the award is contingent upon available funds.
Contact the SAR, located in building 21, room 110 on the UWF main campus, at (850) 474-2387.
To request this page or any information referenced on the page in an alternative format, please email email@example.com.