About Academic Programs

Find out more about the structure of majors and minors and how they fit into your educational goals. Click on the questions for more information on the topic.

What's the best way to find out about the major I've chosen?
  • Degree Audit - Your degree audit will display degree requirements and your progress toward completing those degree requirements. You can access your audit by searching for "degree audit" in MyUWF.
  • Academic Catalog - From the list of available degree programs, select a program of study to learn more about the program and course requirements.
  • Departmental Website - A link to the academic department's website is in the academic catalog description of the program. Department websites may also redirect you to related professional organizations so you can see what kind of occupations the major can prepare you to assume after graduation.
How do I declare a major when I don't know what I want to do yet?

You have numerous opportunities for exploration and your academic advisor is well trained to help you on your journey. In addition, your required General Education courses will expose you to a variety of new perspectives that may help you discover what you want to do. Career Development & Community Engagement (CDCE) also provides some helpful direction in making your choice. Follow the links below for more specific information on this important decision.

Choosing a Major

Occupational Outlook Handbook

Career Education - My Career Shines

Explore the UWF Catalog - Undergraduate Degree Programs

What if I decide to change my major?

If you are considering a change of program, you should first discuss possible outcomes of the change with your academic advisor. You may also do a "what-if" analysis with your Degree Audit to see how any current and past credit will apply to other degree programs.

What if I want more than one major?

Choosing a double major can provide you with greater employment opportunities following graduation. However, it is important to recognize that each major will require that you meet the individual requirements of both, so you will need to work closely with your academic advisor.

Double major status could entail more time to graduation and you could incur excess hour charges. To graduate with a dual major, you must officially declare a major in each department and college (as applicable) and get an advisor assigned from each program. You must complete a Change of Major Form. Your advisor can assist you with starting the process and completing the online form. When a dual major is requested, the catalog year for both majors will be the current catalog year.

A dual major does not require a minimum number of hours beyond those necessary for completing each degree requirement (minimum 120). Requirements for both majors must be completed prior to the degree being awarded. After successful completion of all requirements for both majors, you will be awarded one degree (e.g., one B.A. or one B.S.) with both majors listed on the diploma and transcript.

Should I elect a minor?

Pursuing a minor may be a good idea to help you develop distinctive skill sets and perspectives to support your major. Ask you academic advisor about what minors offer the greatest potential in relation to your career goals. 

To declare a minor, you must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate major. Specific requirements for the minor will be those listed in the academic programs section of the catalog that is in effect at the time the minor is declared. You should consult the minor department for questions concerning course requirements. A minimum of twelve (12) semester hours of upper-division work must be completed in the minor, of which nine (9) semester hours must be courses taken at UWF. You must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 in all UWF courses used in the minor. A list of minors is available in the undergraduate academic catalog.

Neither diplomas nor certificates are issued for completion of the minor. Minors are awarded in conjunction with the receipt of a baccalaureate degree and are recorded only on the academic transcript.